Medicine. Acupuncture can help babies with colic, according to a research team at Lund university.
But the study is criticised by a british colleague as “scary”.
According to the study, reduces the small pinprick in infants with colic children’s screaming significantly. Close to 150 infants aged two to eight weeks were included.
the Results are presented in Acupuncture in Medicine, published by the scientific journal BMJ (formerly British Medical Journal).
– Twice as many as the akupunkturbarnen went down to a normal screaming compared with the children in the control group, ” says associate professor Kajsa Landgren to TT.
It does not mean that they stopped screaming, but the screaming in less than three hours a day and are thus no longer had colic.
the Reason spädbarnskolik is not fully known. But the babies screaming intensely and otröstligt, several hours in succession, which is assumed to depend on the pain in my stomach. Roughly one in six children get colic.
the researchers divided The children into three groups. One of the groups got “minimal” acupuncture treatment, one was given up to five stick in 30 seconds per session, while a group did not receive any nålbehandling at all.
– We have come to the conclusion that there is some scientific support for to give acupuncture to children with colic, but it needs to be examined more, ” says professor Inger Hallström.
However, according to the AFP news agency called the research “incompetent” by David Colquhoun, professor of pharmacology at University College London. He criticizes in particular the statistical analysis in the study, which he judges as “terrifying”.
His conclusion after reviewing the study is that it is very likely that acupuncture does not provide any effect at all, ” he says to the Science Media Centre.
– What parent think that your child would stop screaming by sticking needles in it? The idea is bizarre.
The Swedish researchers think that his criticism is irrelevant.
– We have used the usual statistical methods, and had the help of an independent statistician, ” says Kajsa Landgren.
Before the scientific article has been published, it has also been reviewed by the journal’s experts, who have gone through the statistics, she points out.
Acupuncture has for many years offered the Swedish kolikbarn and the intention from the researchers has been to investigate if there is any scientific support for the treatment.
– For these parents, it is not bizarre, but it is a reality for them. Within the services, this is an extremely common problem in which one is quite powerless, so it comes to find different types of tools to help the children and support the parents, ” says Inger Hallström.
The study included 147 infants with colic, which means they screamed more than three hours a day at least three days a week. The children were divided into two akupunkturgrupper and a control group.
the Kids had to make four visits to child care centres during a two-week period, where they got to meet a nurse who gave advice to the parents. The nurse did not know which children randomly assigned to the acupuncture.
the Babies then got to meet with an acupuncturist in another room. The children in the control group received no acupuncture, but was only swayed and vyssjade. One group received minimal acupuncture with needle marks on one place for five seconds. One group received up to five different stick for up to 30 seconds. My parents were not with of akupunktören and knew not their child had acupuncture.
After the two weeks, the proportion of children with colic decreased in all groups, which was expected because colic often disappears by itself. But the reduction was greater in the two akupunkturgrupperna than in the control group.
Total was 388 akupunkturbehandlingar of the children included in the study. At 200 times the children cried not at all after that have been get stung, 157 times cried up to one minute and 31 times more than it.
Source: Lund university